Old 24-08-2005, 01:38 AM
helco

"Cubit" wrote in message
m...
I've been trying to poison some ants. They are actually in my kitchen,
but
they come from the garden, so I hope I'm on topic here.

In the past I used Grant's stakes. After a few days of feeding on the
poison the ants would be gone for about a year. This year the ants
refused
to eat the Grant's bait. I even tried removing some from the pod and
mixing
some water with it. The ants just were not interested. These ants want
MEAT. I live in the Silicon Valley, and we have very very tiny ants.
People say they are Argentinean ants.

When the Grant's failed I bought Raid and Combat bait stations. The ants
took no interest in either product. I then tried Terro ant poison. The
ants loved the stuff. They took their fill out the six poison units that
came in a pack. Unfortunately, the ants just kept coming in a large
column
until the bait was gone. They now stream into my garbage disposal, where
dumped some uneaten dog food.

The Grant's I had used had been on the shelf for a few years, so I bought
new stakes at Wal-Mart today. Occasionally, an ant will go check out the
bait, but they are not interested.

Can someone suggest a brand that is likely to work?

I've had good luck with MaxAttrax, which is a sort of jelly that you goop
onto a surface where the ants will find it; they eat it, bring it home, and
disappear in a few days. The ants in my office ate it and disappeared. The
ants in my mailbox had no interest in the stuff, though -- but a few
mothballs in the mailbox got rid of them. (The mail smells funny, though.)