Old 24-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Suzy O

The first thought that comes to mind is whether they get at least 6 hours of
sun/day. But you probably already considered that factor.

Suzy O

"Jenny" wrote in message
DrLith wrote:

I've got Cosmos sulphureus "Bright Lights" in several spots with a
couple of ragweed plants growing up among them, which I only just
recently noticed when they outstripped the cosmos in height while
failing to produce any flowers. The foliage is pretty similar--are you
sure it's all cosmos you're looking at?

Mine are also Bright Lights and yes, they do look a lot like Ragweed,
though the seedlings are subtly different.

When I was young I had an extreme allergy to ragweed that would cause my
windpipe to close if I were in a field of it. So I am pretty good at
identifying it and I pluck out the seedlings I find in my yard as soon
as I see them.

But beyond that, last year I left the one non-flowering cosmos that I
had bought at a nursery until near frost and it not only didn't put out
cosmos flowers, it also did not grow the characteristic ragweed flower.
So I'm pretty certain it wasn't ragweed.

It's not a big issue, between the ones I planted and the volunteers from
the previous year, I'm all set for flowering cosmos. I was just curious
what might be going on.
--Jenny

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info