Old 24-08-2005, 12:04 PM
John Bachman

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:27:48 GMT, "Cubit" wrote:

I've been trying to poison some ants. They are actually in my kitchen, but
they come from the garden, so I hope I'm on topic here.

In the past I used Grant's stakes. After a few days of feeding on the
poison the ants would be gone for about a year. This year the ants refused
to eat the Grant's bait. I even tried removing some from the pod and mixing
some water with it. The ants just were not interested. These ants want
MEAT. I live in the Silicon Valley, and we have very very tiny ants.
People say they are Argentinean ants.

When the Grant's failed I bought Raid and Combat bait stations. The ants
took no interest in either product. I then tried Terro ant poison. The
ants loved the stuff. They took their fill out the six poison units that
came in a pack. Unfortunately, the ants just kept coming in a large column
until the bait was gone. They now stream into my garbage disposal, where I
dumped some uneaten dog food.

The Grant's I had used had been on the shelf for a few years, so I bought
new stakes at Wal-Mart today. Occasionally, an ant will go check out the
bait, but they are not interested.

Can someone suggest a brand that is likely to work?

My favorite ant control is a 50/50 mix (the mix is not critical) sugar
and Boraxo. The borax in Boraxo is toxic to ants. The ants are
attracted to the sugar but cannot tell the difference between it and
the Boraxo. They tote both back to the nest and everyone dies.

John