Old 24-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Ray

If I'm not mistaken, reaction with the substrate is related to several
factors - the chemical makeup of the substrate, both inherent and what it
becomes when it has absorbed stuff from its environment, the chemical makeup
of the nutrient solution used, the time they are in contact with each other,
and temperature.

Considering the solution is basically in contact with the mounts for a
relatively short period of time, and you're refreshing the system on a daily
basis, I suspect that your plants are essentially seeing only what's in the
solution. That is, little to no influence by the mount - especially in the
case of cork.

"Dustin " wrote in message ...
99% of my plants are mounted on cork or treefern and I water everyday
most of the year. I wonder what role the substrate will play in my
case.

Dustin

Ray wrote:

Pat,

Out of curiosity, at what strengths were you using the Dyna-Gro products?
used about 1 teaspoon per gallon of each, which gave me a pH of about 6.3
and a nitrogen loading of about 100 ppm.

I had considered that maybe the major difference was the substrate
itself,
as I grow a lot in PrimeAgra in S/H culture, but I also have lots of
plants
in sphagnum, in CHC/charcoal/perlite, and in baskets with little or no
medium, and I didn't have any such problems.

This is most curious....

Oh yeah, one more thing. How can sharing your experience make you a
scum???? I think it has led to an interesting discussion!