Old 10-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Alan Gould

Default Cleaning fleece

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
And a broth of calf's-heel jelly was always considered to be beneficial
to people in convalescence. To return to topic, the same animal material
is also used to produce hoof and horn meal as used by some gardeners,
but I think that is ground up raw rather than boiled and rendered.

Is it still allowed post BSE?

AFAIK all BSE based restrictions have been lifted, so that would seem to
include h&h for gardening purposes, or presumably cow or calf-heel for
human consumption. Ox-tail is in much the same territory and that is
regularly seen on sale in butchers and supermarkets.

Animal based fertilisers other than dung and urine have always been
controversial in the organic gardening sense. Hoof & horn, bone meal,
dried blood, fish, blood and bone etc. are not recommended for regular
use in the (pre BSE) HDRA guidelines, but they have appeared in the
Chase/HDRA Organic Gardening Catalogue. At present it carries h&h and
bone meal, but not the others. Vegetarians and vegans prefer not to use
fertilisers made from animal parts, but they use their manure. We avoid
them on animal welfare grounds, but some organic gardeners use them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.