Old 24-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Mike Lyle

jane wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:06:33 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

[...]
use them? ~If so has anyone got a decent recipe for salsa or pasta
sauce as my ~attempts have always been terrible.

[...]

For pasta sauce I just stick a handful of toms per person into a

pan
with the skins removed as above, add a teaspoon of olive oil,
seasoning and then just heat and mash with a wooden spoon until

they
go soft.

[...]

I had to write my children a cookery book when they started going off
to univ., but it didn't involve frozen tomato pulp! I'd recommend
peeling, yes, but also letting the tomatoes drain in a sieve for a
while, even overnight: the vibes tell me you may be finding your
sauce unsatisfactory because of too much moisture.

You may like to try this simple recipe we use for pasta. For a pound
or two of tomatoes, half tsp each dried oregano and mixed herbs,
pepper, good chicken stock cube or Marigold veg stock powder, pepper,
1 clove garlic. (No onion, which is acid. No salt, either. A trace of
ginger or cayenne is nice.)

Chop or crush garlic, fry gently in a tablesp oil, without browning
_at all_, till it's sort of translucent. Add chopped or pulped
tomatoes, bring to the boil; add the other stuff, then simmer gently
till you like the look of it. You can scatter a little chopped
parsley on top when serving.

I always nick out the little core in the top of each tomato, but
that's fussy. If necessary, hit the sauce with a potato masher as it
cooks. If you want meat, fry a fistful of mince with the garlic,
stirring: any bits which stick should be lifted off by the tomatoes.
There have been no complaints in thirty years.

--
Mike.