Old 24-08-2005, 12:24 PM
pammyT

"michael adams" wrote in message

So every book, and every supposed "expert" on the subject is wrong.

I have a collection of poultry books since I am a breeder of fancy fowl.
Some of the advice given even 20 years ago, would now be regarded as wrong.
Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is gospel. Not even the bible
is that.
What makes an expert? SOmeone who has studied the physics of freexing and
can explain about molecular structures etc? Or someone wgho freezes, pickles
and preserves fruit and vegetables yearly for the olast 2 decades as a means
of preserving gluts and avoiding waste?

Most of the books and the supposed "experts" recommend blanching
french beans if they're going to be stored for longer than around
8 weeks maximum. And peas if they're going to be stored for
longer than 12 weeks.

So if it worries you, blanch away.If you prefer to blindly belive what you
read in a book rather than try something yourself, carry on.

As most people will be sick of the sight
and taste of beans and peas at the end of the season, it's assumed
they'd be storing them for a longer period than that.

I love beans and could never be sick of them. It's why I grow and freeze so
many. I have beans almost every day.

In which case
they'll need to be blanched to halt the enzyme activity which would
otherwise eventually render them unpapalatable.

Oh well, I obviously have unique beans cos mine are delicious.

As there are no big corporations around with a direct interest in
persuading people to blanch vegetables unecessarily, I find it
difficult to believe there's some widespread conspiracy
afoot to forge experimental data and trials, biological explanations
about enzyme actitvity, and for "experts" to fabricate personal anecdotes
about spoiled food, simply in order to hoodwink the public.

shrug so carry on if it's what makes you happy.

Some people might look on the opportunity to freeze their own produce
as a privilege rather a chore. And something worth taking a little
trouble over, given that it only takes up a couple of hours a year
at the most. And I'd imagine that if they thought otherwise many of
them probably wouldn't bother, but would simply buy their stuff in the
supermarket instead.

So why not conduct an experiment for yourself so that you will *know*
instead of believeing everything you read? Bl;anch and freeze some, then
freeze unblanched some more?