Old 24-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Kathy

wrote in message
Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example,
it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

Bill

Zucchinis and crooknecks do if they're healthy. Which leads me to today's
problem: so do "cream of the crop" white acorn squashes. I had hoped for a
good harvest, but perhaps not quite THIS good. Does anybody have acorn
squash recipe ideas that don't involve sweets - brown sugar, maple syrup, or
honey?

I have one to share in exchange: Bake squashes as usual, split, and remove
seeds. Fry bulk sausage and drain excess fat. Along with sausage in the
remaining fat, saute chopped onions and apples. Pack the sausage/onion/apple
mixture into squash cavities. Makes a nice October supper. Maple syrup and
cinnamon go well but are optional.

Kathy