Old 24-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Totty

Mike Lyle wrote:
WaltA wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:33:23 +0100, "Mike Lyle" wrote:
,,
that we have an immense amount to learn
from the Euros about selling quality produce in open markets:

Yep, I agree with that, and no howevers this time :-)

Oh well, perhaps just a little however :-)) :-
I wonder how long the elfinsafty brigade will allow the French to

get
away with it ?

[...]

I'd love to see somebody try and stop the French doing exactly as
they please! But surely the point here is that declaring the variety
is a good thing for the consumer, not a bad one. If the EU enforces
that, then I'm all for it.

As someone who lives in Euroland, my personal experience is that the
larger supermarkets ie Carrefour, label all of their fruit and veg with
variety and country of origin. That of Spanish origin is labelled with
the province. Smaller supermarkets tend to leave the produce in its
original box, which is labelled not only with variety, but with name
and address of the producer. Open weekly markets don't seem to bother
with labels at all, but at least they offer free tasters of the fruit,
and they know their produce. Ask them on Saturday for half a dozen
avocados to reach perfection the following Wednesday, and they are
seldom wrong.

--
Jo