Old 24-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

You may like to try this simple recipe we use for pasta. For a pound
or two of tomatoes, half tsp each dried oregano and mixed herbs,
pepper, good chicken stock cube or Marigold veg stock powder, pepper,
1 clove garlic. (No onion, which is acid. No salt, either. A trace of
ginger or cayenne is nice.)

Chop or crush garlic, fry gently in a tablesp oil, without browning
_at all_, till it's sort of translucent. Add chopped or pulped
tomatoes, bring to the boil; add the other stuff, then simmer gently
till you like the look of it. You can scatter a little chopped
parsley on top when serving.

I always nick out the little core in the top of each tomato, but
that's fussy. If necessary, hit the sauce with a potato masher as it
cooks. If you want meat, fry a fistful of mince with the garlic,
stirring: any bits which stick should be lifted off by the tomatoes.
There have been no complaints in thirty years.

That sounds like a really good way to use tomatoes Mike, thanks I have
printed it out.
This year we are growing the wonderful round courgettes (Italian name
but can't remember it at the moment) they have grown across two deep
beds and down a path and they seem to become small footballs overnight

Have used a lot of them with the tomatoes but the natives are getting
restive and are suggesting that there must be something I can give them
for tea apart from courgettes and tomatoes with something or other

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph