Old 25-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Janet Galpin) wrote:

I believe splitting is usually considered to be connected with
watering, especially irregular watering, i.e. plants drying out a bit
and then getting a real drenching.

I know the theory. I have carefully watered them little and often. The
only way anyone can make the soil more evenly moist would be with some
sort of sensor and feedback loop.

Can you just pick them slightly before fully ripe and eat them the
next day when they've finished ripening

I suppose so. Don't know what the taste will be like.

I find Sungold is quite prone to splitting but haven't experienced
much on my Gardeners' Delight. (My watering is very hit-and-miss).

What sort of soil do you have?

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/