Old 11-12-2002, 01:27 PM
JennyC

Default curly kale: recepies ne1?

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
This year I have grown curly kale succesfully for teh first time: so
successfully that I have something of a glut. lovely fresh green veg
throughout the winter BUT a tad, how shall I put it, boring?

Any urglers have receipes for tarting it up a bit?
tia
Derek Turner

Here's my adaptation of a Dutch recipe (2 portions):

Chop 300gr curly kale finely.
Peel the same amount of floury potatoes.
Chop an onion and fry gently in a bit of butter
Add two crushed cloves of garlic, fry a bit more (but not until brown)
Add the kale and a small cup of water.
Simmer with a lid on for the time it takes to boil the
potatoes...........

Fry some bits of streaky bacon until crispy.

Mash the potatoes
Strain any water from the kale (you can use this to add to some
instant gravy if desired)
Mix the potatoes, kale and bacon bits together.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
You may want to add a bit of bitter or top of the milk to make it
creamy.

Serve with a pork chop, a nice sausage or whatever you fancy :~))

Jenny