Old 25-08-2005, 04:31 PM
mikey

"Geoff" wrote in message
My ninety year old neighbour to whom I gave some runner beans invited me

help myself to the victoria plums in her garden which she is now unable to
harvest. I picked a nice lot and she had most. They looked super. I
washed one and bit into it and there was this little pink caterpillar
sitting in its excrement winking at me. It really turned my stomach! I

cut
the rest in halves and they were all inhabited! I'm glad my wife didn't
suggest plum jam!!

The RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening details the use some nasty sounding
chemical sprays twice. It also says that the use of pheremone traps in

late
spring to reduce the males enables more accurately timed sprays. It adds,
if you'll forgive my paraphrasing, that the use of traps alone can reduce
the population copulation and result in more maggot free plums.

Does anybody have experience in dealing with plum moths?

Can anybody recommend the best traps for me to use next year on my now
established plum and gage trees?

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff - we were losing about 9 out of 10 plums to moths last year, and were
getting seriously bothered by the wasps attracted by the rotting fruit. We
put an Agralan brand pheromone trap in place in june, and so far we are only
losing about 1 in 10 and there are no wasps !. Of course, it could be the
weather.
Mike