Old 25-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Jason Culligan wrote:
Hi.

I'm completely new to Bonsai trees but have always been interested in them.
Recently, I was given a ficus which I noticed is growing a long root from
one of it's upper branches. It consists of one thin root which then splits
into about 5 more roots, and they're running along the soil. Should I leave
it 'dig in' or not?

Thanks for any advice
J Culligan

As other people said, ficuses do that kinda thing. If you don't like
it, cut it off. If you want more of them, you can get them started by
wrapping wet moss around where you want a root to start, and covering
the moss with plastic wrap to keep it damp.

Here's a link to a picture of a ficus bonsai with a lot of aerial roots
going on:

http://www.tropicalbonsai.com/plaza_...icusBanyan.htm