Old 25-08-2005, 10:32 PM
zxcvbob

Default pepper seed question

belly wrote:

OK, I'm sure this has been asked in the past, but I spent my
obligatory ten minutes in the archives, then said the hell with it.
Can I expect any success in trying to start pepper seeds from the
dried peppers from the market? It seems the market near me has
suddenly begun carrying peppers that I haven't seen at the nursery,
not to mention, I can buy and eat the peppers in a $2 package, saving
the seeds, but the seeds cost $3 at the nursery for about a quarter as
many.
Have these dried peps been irradiated or maybe subjected to anything
else that my kill the seeds would you think? Almost any opinion or
ideas appreciated... thanks a lot!

It doesn't hurt to try. I've grown pepper plants from dried peppers
before and got some unusual varieties that way that are seldom available
as seeds. Other times, I got 0% germination. I think it depends on how
much (if any) heat is used used to dry the peppers.

Bob