Old 26-08-2005, 01:40 PM

Default [IBC] Adventitious Roots

In a message dated 8/26/05 12:03:06 AM, Steve writes:
They are referred to strangler fig I believe.

Not correct. Roots coming from the upper part of a plant are called
adventitious. A ficus with a number of extra trunks formed by adventitious roots is
called a banyan. In bonsai they are usually considered very desirable.
Strangler fig, Ficus aurea, is a particular species found in Florida. It is a
sort of parasite. Its seeds sprout on the forest floor. Then the seedling
finds the nearest tree and climbs up it as a vine, to reach the light. As it gets
to the top, it grows more stems and branches around the host tree, eventually
smothering it and becoming a free-standing tree. Ficus aurea can be grown as
a bonsai. I presume they stake it to the desired height until it stands on its
own, or grow it on a sacrifice tree to get the multiple trunks.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++