Old 26-08-2005, 02:12 PM
TheBadGerman

Default Symphalans in Houseplant - help!!

Hi - I have a fairly healthy Monstera growing in my front room - a
couple of years ago, I noticed tiny white bugs crawling in the soil
whenever I watered - so I washed the roots and repotted the plant -
this solved the problem.....or so I thought.

Today, around 2 years and 1 repotting later, I have noticed the return
of these pests, which I beleive to be Symphylans - tiny white bugs,
with antennae crawling in the soil. The don't fly or hop, so I don;t
think that they're fungus gnats or thrips. They tend to come to the
surface when I water.

I've really become attached to this plant, and don't want to lose it -
what can I do? I can't seem to find any chemical or systemic
insecticides targetted at Symphylans. Has anyone got any handy advice?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.