Old 26-08-2005, 02:18 PM
pam

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
news:1124991359.927304@yasure...
Is there a honeysuckle that can be grown in the Puget Sound area that does
NOT get mildew? I really want to get more humming bird attracting plants
going on my balcony.

Val

The dutch honeysuckles, Lonicera periclymenum, have never gotten PM in my
garden, but I'm wondering how suitable they are to container growth - they
may be overly stressed by attempting to confine a rather large and rampant
vine with a big root system to a small (relatively) container. Any
honeysuckle is liable to contract problems under these conditions.

You may want to try a hardy fuchsia or Phygelius (Cape fuchsia) as a balcony
container plant. Both have very long bloom seasons, extermely attractive to
hummers and are more easily grown in a container than a large vine.

pam - gardengal