Old 26-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Dwayne

"Kathy" wrote in message
wrote in message
Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example,
it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

Bill

Zucchinis and crooknecks do if they're healthy. Which leads me to today's
problem: so do "cream of the crop" white acorn squashes. I had hoped for a
good harvest, but perhaps not quite THIS good. Does anybody have acorn
squash recipe ideas that don't involve sweets - brown sugar, maple syrup,
or honey?

Take the top off like a pumpkin, remove the seeds, fill it with chopped
apples (other fruits will work also) and add some cinniman. Bake for 45
minutes and eat. Or fry some meat and onions, stuff the squash with it and
bake for 45 minutes and eat . Or cut them up and add to stew and soups. I
also cut them in to slices, microwave them till tender, spray they with "I
cant believe its not butter". Or Slice and fry them and eat. Or add them
to casseroles.

Dwayne

I have one to share in exchange: Bake squashes as usual, split, and remove
seeds. Fry bulk sausage and drain excess fat. Along with sausage in the
remaining fat, saute chopped onions and apples. Pack the
sausage/onion/apple mixture into squash cavities. Makes a nice October
supper. Maple syrup and cinnamon go well but are optional.

Kathy