Old 26-08-2005, 12:18 PM
John McMillan

I have some clay pots that I have brought back from Africa, they are clay
that has been fired in a kiln but not glazed.
The clay after firing is a terrcotta colour.

I need to protect them from the UK elements, rain and frost, no room
indoors!

Some of the pots that Ikea (i.a.) sell appear to be dip painted with
clear acrylic or silicone. The pots are normally made in Vietnam
or Myanmar or somewhere with even worse safety standards but certainly
no frost. I've often wondered about this technique myself. If I got
a porous non-frostproof pot and gave it a couple of coats of marine
grade acrylic varnish, then it would be waterproof and so frostproof,
wouldn't it?