Old 11-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Pronunciation

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

.Coombes ex Head of Latin at Eton. He's sorted out many a dispute in our
household. :-)

He says in his introduction that it all depends on where the name came

from,
i.e. if it's from a town, person etc then it's pronounced that way if it's
from the Latin then it should be pronounced the Latin way, i.e. all "C's"
are hard as in cat.

Now try... Coelogyne :-) (p.s. it's an Orchid family)

--
Regards
Bob

Trouble is we live in a country where even comman words are not prounaunced
the same all over, growing up in the south I say water with an r (warter)
but most people I come across from further up would argue there is no r so
it should rhyme with cat. The result is when ever I turn up to do a talk on
Clematis I can be sure it will be the first question I am asked, how do YOU
say it. A word derived from the Greek written in Latin, spoken in English
(with possible a regional accent) I seldom dare venture an opinion :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk