Old 26-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Matt Townsend

I spray off blade with alchohol as part of my clean up procedure, after
brushing off loose sawdust with stiff brush, I spray off with 99%
alcohol from heb, till it is running off of blade, then wipe down with
clean dry rag, followed by start and short run to re oil chain. Do a
more detailed cleaning when change chain to sharpen. for pruners and
hand saws do about the same, substituting wipe with clean oily rag for
start and run.

Doug Lassiter wrote:
Got to trim some oak this fall/winter, and will need to rent a small
saw to do it. Is there a recommended procedure for sterilizing a power
saw? I assume, for lack of any better knowledge, that the particular
saw they give me has been ripping up an oak-wilt infested tree ... For
a hand saw, a soak in a tub of dilute bleach will do the trick, but
that's a little harder on a gas engine! I could run the saw with the
blade immersed in a bucket of the stuff (which might be exciting!), but
it's not clear if that is good for the saw, nor is it clear that it
gets everything sterilized that needs to be sterilized. That is, the
chain gets treated, but that chain is running around and around in a
larger mechanism that isn't.

A neighbor told me "oh, just spray it with bleach", which sounds
insufficient.

What do responsible arborists do?