Old 26-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Mike Davis

Ti kanis Dimitiris? I am a Greek-American.

Depending on your design objective (large or small tree), you may want to wait a few seasons before cutting your trident to let the trunk thicken. If you want the seedling to thicken first, best to plant it in the ground or a very large container. When you cut the trunk, cut it well above the buds that you want to develop as the first branch and new leader. This assures that there is adequate sap flow to the buds and that the tree does not die back to a point below the buds. Once the new branch and leader develop you can then cut back and clean-up the stump. As Jim said, best to do any of this in early spring, just as the buds are starting to swell.

Hope that helps,
Mike
Massachusetts, USA

Hello friends,

A few weeks ago I had sent a question regarding my
Chinese Elm seedling not branching. After I cut the
top off, branches appeared everywhere, so that's set.

Now I have the same question regarding the one and
only Trident Maple seedling I have (which I obviously
try hard to take care of !!).
It keeps getting taller and taller (now it is about
7-8 inches tall) but no branches have formed yet.
Shall I cut the top off again (just after a pair of
leaves ), as I did with the Chinese Elm ?

many thanks in advance,
Dimitris

ps. maples are rare in Greece and even more difficult
to maintain if you get one, so I have to do my best
not to kill this seedling !!

http://mail.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: