Old 11-12-2002, 08:22 PM
HaaRoy

Default Is fire ash any good for soil ?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:55:29 -0000, "Paul England"
wrote:

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
.. .
I have always thought that using ash from the bonfire was good for the
plants but am i under a false illusion ?

I remember reading somewhere, that wood-ash will make the soil slightly more
alkaline. Obviously if it's scattered thinly, it shouldn't make much
difference.
However, if you've spent a couple of quid on a soil acid/alkaline test kit
and you find that your soil is already on the alk. side of neutral, it would
be best to dispose of your wood-ash elsewhere.
Regards ............ Paul England

how would roses take to this ash ?
good or bad ?