Old 26-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Chris Hogg

On 25 Aug 2005 12:12:34 -0700, wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:42:25 +0000 (UTC), "Bill H"
wrote:

Hello

I have some clay pots that I have brought back from Africa, they are clay
that has been fired in a kiln but not glazed.
The clay after firing is a terrcotta colour.

I need to protect them from the UK elements, rain and frost, no room
indoors!

Someone suggested painting them with PVA glue which I have done, when sunny
they have a shine however everytime it rains they turn white!!

Any ideas

Many thanks

Bill H

Most clay pots aren't glazed. Depending on the composition of the clay
and the temperature they're fired at (typically between 800 and
1000C), they may or may not be frost proof. But you yourself can't
tell, and coming from Africa (where frosts aren't widespread) it's a
fair bet that they aren't.

Rain on its own shouldn't do them any harm, although permanently damp
pots may start to grow algae, moss etc. Nor will frost harm them if
they're bone dry (it's water freezing in the pores of the pot that
causes them to shatter).

There are products available from DIY sheds that are supposed to
waterproof brick walls and concrete. Perhaps you could paint them with
that but it might darken the colour. Whether it can be applied _over_
the PVA, I don't know. If it can't, as JennyC suggests, you might find
an obliging local potter who would re-fire them for you on a 'biscuit'
schedule to burn it out. There would be some fumes though, but most
raw clay gives off fumes on first firing, and a potter would be
familiar with that and ventilate his pottery accordingly.

I'd still be worried that they weren't entirely frost-proof and make
sure I kept them really dry.

--
Chris

If you touch your tongue to a clay pot and it sticks then it is not
frostproof. This tip was given to me by a lady potter in Suffolk. If it
is not frost proof then you would be better off buying one that is. It
is all down to the firing temperature as other correspondents have said
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Not an absolute guarantee, and I'd have put it the other way round (if
your tongue doesn't stick, it's probably frost proof) but as a rough
rule of thumb I'd go along with that.

--
Chris