Old 27-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Sue

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:26:20 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Sue writes:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:32:14 GMT, wrote:

Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example, it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

I have that rotting problem, too. Sigh.

Are you carrying out the pollination yourself? If the flower is not
properly pollinated the tiny fruit seems to rot or just grow stunted
before it falls. Use a small brush and perform the pollination yourself.

One day I went out to do this (hand pollination) and had to battle the
bees to get to the flowers. I decided it didn't need doing *that*
day. I'll try it again tomorrow. I'm also going to take a deep
breath and hack away at my huge tomato bushes. Hardly any tomatoes
but lots of bush. I need to rethink the whole garden thing next year.
I have so little space that I crowd too much (tomatoes and bells), I
don't do enough prep work and I shoulda found this NG before I planted
in the spring.

It could be that bees have better things to do with their time than
gather pollen from your plants, or the weather might be inclement so they
choose to stay home and just put their feet up.

G Sounds like a good idea to me. I am sooo glad it's the weekend.
We had about 20 days of over 100 degrees. I don't know much about
bees - is that too hot for them to be active?
Sue