Old 11-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Leylandii - Its days are numbered!

In message , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Chris French and Helen Johnson) wrote:

For anyone interested you can download a .pdf of the bill at:

http://www.parliament.the-stationery...200203/ldbills
/004/2003004.pdf

So far as I can see, it's rather one sided. The complainer complains to
the Local Authority who may decide it's a good complaint and issue an
order. If the hedge owner doesn't like it, they have to appeal to the
Secretary of State.

It would seem sensible to me that the LA be compelled to notify the
hedge owner of the complaint, invite comment and allow time to do so, It
might then make a better decision.

True it doesn't specify any sort of action like that. However it does
require the authority to consider all relevant factors, including the
one about the privacy afforded the owner of the hedge. They also need to
decide that other avenues such as amicable agreement on the hedge have
failed. I can't see how they could do that without being in contact with
the owner.

(Of course IANAL and could be talking out of my arse here...)

And of course the bill could well be amended in the Commons.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: