Old 27-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Sue

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:16:49 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

Sue said:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:26:20 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

It could be that bees have better things to do with their time than
gather pollen from your plants, or the weather might be inclement so they
choose to stay home and just put their feet up.

G Sounds like a good idea to me. I am sooo glad it's the weekend.
We had about 20 days of over 100 degrees. I don't know much about
bees - is that too hot for them to be active?

No, but your weather was too hot for your tomatoes to be setting
fruit. (Which you commented on earlier in this thread.)

I understand that from an earlier thread. I have one tomato plant
that hasn't gotten outrageously big like the others and it's had more
tomatoes than the others despite the heat. I don't know why this one
particular one didn't branch out all over the place as the others did.

I had
a short lull in ripening fruit on my tomato plants which is probably
connected to a stretch of very hot weather earlier this summer.

Squash will abort fruit (sometimes without the flower even opening) when
they are stressed (by fruit load, pests, or environmental circumstances).

I did some hand pollinating this morning with a paint brush and
noticed that some of the blossoms (the females) had lots of ants in
them. Would those be in the pest category?
I'm awfully discouraged with this gardening business.
Sue