Old 11-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Leylandii - Its days are numbered!

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:46 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

In article ,
(Steve
Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide) wrote:

The houses were sold using the views as a
selling feature

The seller sold you something he didn't own. It's common - the estate
agent's particulars for my house mention various local amenities. I
never assumed I therefore had a right to them continuing. "Excuse me,
you can't close that Post Office because it's listed in me particulars!"

I remember viewing other houses right on the edge of town and having my
attention drawn to the "rural outlook". "Yes" I thought, "but for how
long?" and I was right.

If you are fond of pulling the wings off flies, it never hurts to
ask a real estate agent (as we call them here) if the amenities
he points out are subject to easements, rights of ways,
restrictive covenants, or something of a generally "preservative"
nature registered on the title and enforceable.

Of course, the usual response is "no", but in this part of the
world, such things are not unheard of.

Such arrangements are in fact fairly common where someone
subdivides the property they live on, and places view-preserving
restrictions on the newly created lot.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada