Old 28-08-2005, 04:23 AM
B & J

"pam" wrote in message
Unless it is a very young or immature tree, it is highly unlikely a
Japanese maple would double in size in only 20 months - they are notorious
for slow growth even under ideal conditions, typically taking 25 years or
more to reach a mature size.

Rather than attempting to maintain a reduced size in its current location
(never the most desirable solution), it may be preferrable to relocate the
tree to a more appropriate spot where it can be allowed to grow without
interference. If the tree is too large to consider moving, then I would
consider hiring an arborist that specializes in pruning J. maples. One of
their best features is a sculptural growth habit, specially with a mature
tree, and excessive or improper pruning can really negatively impact the
tree's appearance. Nothing is more unattractive than a whacked at J.
maple.

Most maples and Asian maples in particular bleed sap extensively if pruned
at the wrong time. I have not encountered permanent damage to trees if
pruned at the wrong time of year, but it can set them back and stressed
trees are much more prone to various disease pathogens. Pruning is best
done when the sap is not actively running - midwinter (December/January)
or in early summer (June, at least in my climate).

I'd visit a good garden center in the area that sells lots of J. maples
and get their recommendations for qualified arborists. Watch carefully as
they thin or head back and shape the tree and learn how best to do this
yourself for the future to encourage correct growth and to avoid
disfiguring a wonderful landscape asset.

pam - gardengal

Pam:

We have an Acer palmatum "Bloodgood' on either side of our driveway
entrance, which are between 12' - 15' tall and very thickly branched. I
think they are gorgeous unpruned with branches coming all the way to the
ground in a layered look. My wife wants to prune out the bottom branches so
that they have more the appearances of trees rather than shrubs. So far I
have won the dispute, but..... They have ample space to grow to any size
without interfering with anything. She thinks the bottom branches make the
them appear messy and overgrown.

Do you think I should give in and let her turn them into trees, or should I
insist they keep their J. maple appearance?

Thanks..... John