Old 28-08-2005, 06:30 AM
sherwindu

Hi,
Planting in pots is not all that different from planting in the ground. Spacing is just a
matter of experience and common sense. I would tend to plant the seeds very closely, and then thin
them out, later on. You should select a pot size appropriate to the resultant size of the plant, in
question. Use a well draining mix for your pot, like a potting soil. Make sure there are drain
holes at the bottom. I cover these with stones to allow water to pass, but not soil. Pots tend to
dry out much more quickly
than ground soil, so keep the pots well moistened. Biggest problem I have with pots is figuring out
which plants are the ones I planted from the many varieties of weeds that want to take over.

Good Luck with the Pots,

Sherwin D.

Switchblade wrote:

Ok so it makes me feel Incredibly dumb but i know nothing about
planting from seed in Pots. my mother has always had her gardens, but
honestly she always planted them directly in the soil. Now i live in an
apartment and i miss her Morning Glorys, Teresitas (thats spanish name
i dont know what theyre called in english) and my cat misses her
catnip. So this is my Dumb question. what are the first steps to
planting seeds in a pot? i know about spacing my seeds when i plant
them directly in the soil, but how does spacing work in a pot?? esp
small ones? when it says, plant no less than six inches apart, is that
per seed? i m planting a few herbs, basil, parsley, marjoram, chives
and sage (cuz i love cooking w/ fresh herbs) and for rec. plants i have
some morning glory seeds.

help anyone?