Old 28-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Travis

B & J wrote:
"pam" wrote in message
Unless it is a very young or immature tree, it is highly unlikely
a Japanese maple would double in size in only 20 months - they
are notorious for slow growth even under ideal conditions,
typically taking 25 years or more to reach a mature size.

Rather than attempting to maintain a reduced size in its current
location (never the most desirable solution), it may be
preferrable to relocate the tree to a more appropriate spot where
it can be allowed to grow without interference. If the tree is
too large to consider moving, then I would consider hiring an
arborist that specializes in pruning J. maples. One of their best
features is a sculptural growth habit, specially with a mature
tree, and excessive or improper pruning can really negatively
impact the tree's appearance. Nothing is more unattractive than a
whacked at J. maple.

Most maples and Asian maples in particular bleed sap extensively
if pruned at the wrong time. I have not encountered permanent
damage to trees if pruned at the wrong time of year, but it can
set them back and stressed trees are much more prone to various
disease pathogens. Pruning is best done when the sap is not
actively running - midwinter (December/January) or in early
summer (June, at least in my climate).

I'd visit a good garden center in the area that sells lots of J.
maples and get their recommendations for qualified arborists.
Watch carefully as they thin or head back and shape the tree and
learn how best to do this yourself for the future to encourage
correct growth and to avoid disfiguring a wonderful landscape
asset.

pam - gardengal

Pam:

We have an Acer palmatum "Bloodgood' on either side of our driveway
entrance, which are between 12' - 15' tall and very thickly
branched. I think they are gorgeous unpruned with branches coming
all the way to the ground in a layered look. My wife wants to prune
out the bottom branches so that they have more the appearances of
trees rather than shrubs. So far I have won the dispute, but.....
They have ample space to grow to any size without interfering with
anything. She thinks the bottom branches make the them appear messy
and overgrown.

Do you think I should give in and let her turn them into trees, or
should I insist they keep their J. maple appearance?

Thanks..... John

Don't give in, Japanese Maples look their best when left to their own.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5