Old 27-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Rodney Pont

On 27 Aug 2005 11:46:38 -0700, wrote:

I have the Challenger 50 system as pictured he
http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com...te_Systems.htm

I'd found the fluidart filters but didn't know if you had the
challenger or not but I did read the manual :-)

I can't see anything obvious that could be wrong but it should filter
out the particles. I've only got a small home made bead filter but it
even clogs if I put Nishi-Clay in the pond and that is too fine to see
individual particles.

I can't suggest why but it sounds as if the water isn't going through
the beads for some reason but that sounds a bit far-fetched. Does the
flow ever get restricted at all. You said it seemed pretty clean when
you backflushed it but when the flow is restricted and I backflush mine
it always comes out as dark brown sludge at first, unless I've used
some Nishi-Clay and then it's very milky :-)

I've only got half a cubic foot of beads and a six hundred gallon pond
with small goldfish and you should have a lot more sludge. This pond
had been established for fifteen years when the bead filter was added
and I was cleaning it every day for three weeks at first and three
times a day for the first couple of days so I do know how effective
these filters are.

Was there any dirty water at all from either the turbo vortex or the
bead filter?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont