Old 28-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Cliff

You have called it. It is Solanum nigrum. Do you mind sharing how you went
about identifying it, did you just know it from past experience or is there
some logic tree you went through?

Thanks,

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
It is a Solanum, possibly Solanum nigrum or Solanum americanum but
there are other possibilities that occur locally. The Solanums
(Nightshades) native to central Texas tend to be hairy and have at
least small thorns. The flower here is very distinctive.

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:12:51 GMT, "Cliff" wrote:

I have a volunteer in one of my hanging baskets along with the
Bougainville.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/uid3975444

It is about 18 inches tall. The berries have a gooseberry look though not
as big, in that you can see faint strips on the berry. No thorns. It
appears to be very prolific. The flower is about the size of a pencil
eraser, five white petals with a bright yellow center. I don't know if I
should do away with it or propagate it.

Cliff

Rusty Mase
Austin, Texas