Old 28-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Layne

Hi Pam,

I think djay may have bought a young tree. Japanese maples often put
out relatively long shoots of a foot or more and when the tree is
young it can certainly "double" in size. I have an Umegae that was
only about a foot high last year and this year it sent out two new
branches that reached almost a foot...doubling its size. I think this
is what djay experienced.

Layne

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:22:34 -0700, "pam"
wrote:

Unless it is a very young or immature tree, it is highly unlikely a Japanese
maple would double in size in only 20 months - they are notorious for slow
growth even under ideal conditions, typically taking 25 years or more to
reach a mature size.

snip