Old 28-08-2005, 05:30 PM
djay

"Layne" wrote in message
Hi Pam,

I think djay may have bought a young tree. Japanese maples often put
out relatively long shoots of a foot or more and when the tree is
young it can certainly "double" in size. I have an Umegae that was
only about a foot high last year and this year it sent out two new
branches that reached almost a foot...doubling its size. I think this
is what djay experienced.

Layne

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:22:34 -0700, "pam"
wrote:

Unless it is a very young or immature tree, it is highly unlikely a
Japanese
maple would double in size in only 20 months - they are notorious for slow
growth even under ideal conditions, typically taking 25 years or more to
reach a mature size.

snip

That close to what happened Layne.

I bought this house in January 2004 with the JM already in place. I have a
picture of it because I was taking a bunch of pictures of the new place
inside and out.
It was about 6 feet tall then - but the leaves had mostly dropped for the
winter.
Now looking back at my original post, I think my "double in size" comment
was more describing the volume of the tree. It's probably 8 ft tall now but
much more volumes (likely to additional growth and now it's August and the
leaves are there).

The problem is that it is encroaching on the walkway on the side of the
house. I wanted to "thin" it out and remove the portion that is overhanging
the walkway (about chest level) without hurting the tree.