Old 28-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
Amber wrote:
I have a plant that has the darker veins on the leaves problem and also
redening of the leaves. I am presuming the first bit is magnesium
defiency and the second is an iron problem? Its a new to us garden,
and a foot or so down is a great chalk collection. I am trying to
improve the soil, but need to sort this problem out.

What's the plant?

Is epsom salts the same as I have in the bathroom, if so how much
should I put on?

An ounce or so in a square metre - but don't panic, as it is not a
major problem if you get it wrong.

I used a general purpose fertilizer as it seemed to be the only one
listing trace elements(especially as I wasn't sure if it was a few I
was missing). If it is going to work when should I see a difference?

It depends on how fast the plant is growing. It will only sometimes
help with existing leaves.

Is it work using a fertillizer for acid soil to try and make more of
the trace element avilable?

No. Definitely not on chalk!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.