Old 29-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Rod Out Back

"Chookie" wrote in message
I e-mailed the Rentachook guy yesterday. Hoping six weeks of fresh
cackleberries will convince DH of the wisdom of keeping 'em permanently!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Chookie,

Bought some chooks this time last year(10 of Isa Brown variety). The
sisterhood of the brown cackle is alive and well, although one died of a
prolapse about 6 weeks ago. They are funny to have around, and put out a
LOT of eggs...

Unfortunately, ours are REALLY free-range, and hang out in the garden around
the house during the day. We now have to keep the laundry closed (good
egg-laying opportunities there...), and have had to put up chicken wire
fences around smaller and more delicate plants. It is also important to be
certain all the doors into the house are always closed; they will find an
open door in a matter of minutes. We also have to do the regular inspection
to find the latest nest, as they seem to think that stealth-laying is a hoot
for all concerned. I keep note of where I see a brown figure sneak into a
distant shed, and go searching for the latest cache every few days... They
also have a penchant for inspecting newly arrived cars for any mechanical
defects. We did find 4 one day; roosting on top of the rear fuel tank of
the Landcruiser ute. It took some convincing to get the little dears out...

On the plus side, they are great entertainment, produce fabulous fresh eggs,
and eat mice when they have the chance. Isa Browns seem to be very friendly
as a breed, and it is rare to not have company when out in the garden. They
have been quite well behaved as far as putting them to bed in their cage at
night, but are busting the door down by sunrise in the mornings. Also,
without a rooster, they have been reasonably quiet. So far, only 2 have
gone 'clucky', which wore off after a few days of bloody annoying behaviour.

My only negative was the episode where I was wedged under the house; trying
to find out where an errant electrical cable ran to. Space was at a
premium, and lets just say I was filling most of it. Next moment, the chook
that was keeping an eye on me decided to try removing the little hair I have
remaining on my head. I started yelling,and waving a piece of wood around
in an effort to fend her off, but she would dance around my swings and have
another peck. I would have killed the little soul; given the chance... My
mother thought I'd been electrocuted, which would have been more pleasant,
in my opinion...
She was the same chook who decided to help me out when pulling the
weed-eater apart on the landing. I suddenly had a little head under my arm;
trying to loosen those screws(I was trying to undo) up for consumption. I
suggested she might like to 'Have sex & travel' (F&*k Off!), wherupon she
gave me a disgusted look, and sidled back under the house to join the rest
of the sisterhood...

Weird animal...

I think they have been great to have, and did I mention the mountain of
fresh eggs??

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back