Old 28-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Roy

For some reason or other it seems if yuou have curretnt flowing and a
fish can get into it, it will follow it. I had problems myself with
some going out through the spillway, and yet others under the
spillway in another barrel continualy jumping up as if they were
salmon doing the run up stream thing. Netting works, but not as good
as a plastic barrier / guard does, plus plastic is easier to keep
clean.Use polycarbonate, not plexiglass or its apt to craze and crack
in sunlight, plus its not as flexible as polycarbonate is.......Lexan
is a polycarbonate plastic.........Lucite, Plexiglass is not.

On 28 Aug 2005 10:25:07 -0700, wrote:

===Thanks, I tiled the barrel to start with, just with a concrete cap
===piece, it worked great, then I untilted it, and the water
===falls/splashes too close to the edge for my liking; (more water loss)
===and the top barrel sort of need to be more full ALL AROUND before water
===would fall down. Or I would have to turn the pump so high it creates
==="thick" waterfall and it end up hard to see the fishes.
===
===I made a grate from mesh to avoid fish from falling into the lower
===barrel, but do they do that? I think they probably would like to swim
===against the current, not let the waterfall wash them down. But I put
===the grate there to be sure.
===
===Maybe you have a liner that the lip extends further, I find with tilted
===I only get a small area of "dangerous" areas for fish on the top
===barrel, where as untiled it is sort of high level all around..
===
===Anyways, it really doesn't matter if I tilt it or not as I'm going to
===make a fence anyway, the lexan sounds good, any plastic net would
===probably soften when it is in the sun.

"The original frugal ponder"