Old 29-08-2005, 06:52 AM
sherwindu

This spraying from the ground only, brings up a question of how thorough a job is being done. The
bottoms of the leaves and insects there, may be getting covered with fungicides and pesticides, but
what about the tops of the leaves and branches. I think the ladder is necessary to do a more
complete job. Some of my semi-dwarfs are about
12 feet high, so you need a ladder to spray down on them, as well as standing on the ground to get
the undersides. This may sound like overkill, but if you are taking the time and trouble to spray,
why leave a window open for problems.

Sherwin D.

Bill Moats wrote:

"TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net wrote in message
I'm in the market for one, having outgrown my one-gallon
pump-spray-pumpsomemore applicators. Problem is, there are too many
choices, so I would like to hear your opinions about 3-4 gallon backpak
sprayers. The sprayer will be used to apply fungicide, pesticide, and
foliar feedings to a 500 ft² veg garden, foundation landscape plantings,
and
a few dwarf fruit trees.

Piston or diaphram pump?
Best PSI?
Brass for wand and/or nozzle or will poly suffice?
Lumbar support and strap comfort?
Durability?
Leaks?
Solo, Field King, Gilmore, SP Systems, or Hudson?

I have two Solo 4 gal backpack sprayers that are 5+ years old. They work
fine with no problems. One has a brass nozzle, the other plastic and both
work equally well. I use them on semi-dwarf trees from the ground and for
general weed spraying. They are as comfortable as anything with 4 gal. of
liquid on your back could be.

Bill
Pau Hana Farm
Milton-Freewater, Oregon