Old 29-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Dewitt

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:59:02 -0400, John DeGood wrote:

This may help in troubleshooting if you have an electrical engineering
background:

http://members.misty.com/don/hidexp.html

The voltages and currents involved are easily lethal, so I recommend you
simply try a new lamp unless you really know what you are doing.

Have you ever been in the vicinity of a MH lamp that exploded? Wow,
they really go BANG!

John

No, and I really prefer to avoid things that go boom. I really didn't
think I wanted to stick probes in the socket to measure voltage, and
the page you noted confirmed that (portioned copied below); 500 volts
is not something I'd care to mess with. I was impressed with the
voltage needed to start automotive xenon metal halide bulbs - up to 20
kilovolts.

"PEAK VOLTAGE NECESSARY FOR STARTING:
Metal halide 175-400 watts: 500 volts, 450 usually works.

Automotive 35W xenon metal halide: 7-10 kilovolts, 12-15 kilovolts for
hot restrike, 18 to maybe even 20 kilovolts for truly reliable in all
cases hot restrike."

I did find info for a local hydroponics store that should have the
bulb I want and I'll wander over their way tomorrow.

deg