Old 29-08-2005, 02:24 PM
WaltA

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:36:37 GMT, "Geoff" wrote:
Oh ! :-) buy spring onions, in a shop ? What a strange idea ! :-)

It's not a strange idea if one does not eat many

True, but I was attempting a wee jest, (since this is a gardening
place you see) hence the smiley at front and end ;-)

and growing just how many
one needs in a seed tray from sets is a good idea.

and quicker doing that than raising them from seed, a good idea I
suppose if one leads a hectc modern lifestyle !

Spring onions are not
expensive at 99p for 5 bunches besides which, in raised beds (largest 2.4 X
2.4 m smallest 1.2 X 1.2m), I grow things which are quite expensive -

and things like peas which are just not the same from a shop.

asparagus , rhubarb, strawberries. runner beans and leeks. I suppose I
could make better use of my garden but with raised beds surrounded by gravel
chippings I can go gardening in my slippers!

Yes. Me too, sometimes barefoot even, but on grass paths. Bit of a
nuisance keeping them trimmed, one of these days I'll lay paving or
gravel or something.
I need a new pair of slippers tho' cos they are getting thin and
yesterday a holly leaf from a tree we have just removed stabbed me
right thro' the sole when I trod on it :-!(
Cloth type slippers are not a good idea for gardening early in the
morning, they let in the dew. But that is a good excuse to have
another cuppa and wait for the dew to evaporate :-))