Old 29-08-2005, 05:47 PM
alan[remove][email protected]

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:01:05 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Sue writes:
I'd asked about this rot business here awhile back. Mine get about an
inch or two, turn yellow and rot. Lots of suggestions.

That is what happens when they have not been pollinated. The flowers are
big enough that you can do it by hand: on a morning that both male and
female flowers are open, break off the male flower, tear away the petals
and rub the male flower onto the centre (stigma) inside each of the open
female flowers. Do this while the plant is still wet with dew.

One was that
they may not be getting enough water so I'm trying to increase it.

It is easy to tell when they are not getting enough water: the leaves
droop alarmingly in the midday heat!

My problem is disorganization - I just don't have a schedule. I did
but my backyard auto sprinkler system died to it's up to me.

Sprinklers? Sprinklers are a recipe for mildew on curcubits. Try not to
wet the leaves when you water them. A dripper system is necessary for
this. You can build up a wall around the centre of the plant so that
water from the hose is contained and soaks in, or half bury a tin can
open at both ends and direct water into this so that it soaks into the
soil. Just take care to now wet any leaves.

Another couple of things I've noticed with the zucchini that are
actually maturing (and I ought to start another thread about this, I
suppose) is that they are quite pale and some are bulbous looking -
almost like gourds. I've never had either of these problems. I'm

They should be okay. BUT ... if any zucchini develops with the free
end noticeably thinner than the stem end then it will be bitter tasting
and you may as well break it off and discard it before it wastes energy
from the plant.

assuming that I've planted the same type as usual - cheapies from
Wal*Mart.

IME zucchinis grow much better when you plant the seed directly, rather
than transplanted from seedlings.

John, can you start them from seeds on Long Island? Are you living
in a much warmer place that I am? If you are planting seeds, when do
you have to start them? It may be too cold here for that.

Did you enter your location on the map at
http://myguestmap.lorca.eti.br/guest...alan&locale=en ?

Does a squash plant support more than one squash at a time? For example, it
seems that while a big zucchini is growing, several incipient ones grow
poorly or even rot. If I remove the big zucchini, another one starts to
grow.

Zucchinis are melt-in-your-mouth tasty if you pick them one or two DAYS
after their open-flower stage (yes, break off the flower!), rather than
leaving them to grow for WEEKS. Pick them small and the plant will produce
dozens more; leave any to grow large and you will have far fewer and they
are not anywhere near as tasty.