Old 29-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Barb

Default Advice? Low shrubs for sunny patch

I have a patch of garden, 3m by 1.1m in front of my house. Following
ruthless pruning back of rampant lavendar last autumn, it's gone to weeds
this summer.

I'd like to dig it all out, put in some new compost and plant a few
low-growing (1m or less) shrubs to fill it. The situation is south-facing,
i.e. sunny, dry and fairly exposed, and I would like to get it reasonably
maintenance-free.

I'm not a gardener, but have moved into a corner house with lots of bushes,
shrubs and roses, which I'm quite getting "into" and enjoying. I need to do
something with this patch, which has become a bit of an eyesore! Flowers
and colour would be very nice, but basically I'm looking for something I can
control!

My mum was great and would have told me exactly what to do with it, but
unfortunately she has passed on to the Big Garden In The Sky ....!

What do you think? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks ....

Barb