Old 29-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Bob wrote:
Well, everybody has to start sometime. My time is now. I have looked at
bonsai plants for a while. Finally I bought one at the local farmer's market
from a booth for a local nursery. The bonsai is a juniper in a pumice pot
and is gorgeous to my untrained eye.

I have done a bit of reading on the net about the mistakes newbies often
make. I am still wishing that I can enjoy my plant indoors so I can see it
more often than I will if it is outdoors. I am fortunate to have a large (6'
x 9') sun room that gets a substantial amount of light all day long. So we
aren't just talking about a big window.

Obviously if I choose to start my bonsai off here and it starts to signs of
unhappiness, it will go outside, but I am curious if any others on this
newsgroup have had success in keeping their tree indoors and what I might
watch for to keep it healthy.

The other reason why junipers (and all non-tropical plants) have to go
outdoors is because they have to go dormant during the winter. If they
don't get the cold weather, they croak.