Old 29-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Rob

Dewitt wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:13:28 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

I did find info for a local hydroponics store that should have the
bulb I want and I'll wander over their way tomorrow.

Well, it was the bulb. It cost more than I could have purchased it
for on the internet, but it was quick and it's good to know that they
carry things like net pots I use and can work on my light ballast if
that's ever necessary. The store is right next to a tattoo parlor and
my guess is that most of their customers aren't growing orchids. Got
me to thinking. Anybody growing under lights received a visit from
law enforcement based on their lighting purchases?

deg

Many many years ago, when I still lived in Chicago, one of the
hydroponics stores in the suburbs (Barrington, I think) raised a big
stink about a camera that was erected to point at their parking lot. If
I recall the story correctly (HAH!), it was being used by law
enforcement to look for suspicious persons. I think it was taken down
after sufficient complaint.

I never had a 'visit' while growing under lights, but I did routinely
have Chicage police stop in the alley beyond my house and peer up to my
third floor blazing window. I'd wave. They must have thought I was too
friendly to be a dope-head. I'm pretty sure some folks looked through
my basement windows when I was growing in Lansing. But I didn't have
anything to hide, except orchid addiction, (which is probably more
expensive than pot, and possibly less socially acceptable).

Around here they catch the big light farms by analyzing power usage (if
your power use goes up 200%, you are probably getting a visit). And I
know a pilot who has been hired to go on overflights with IR cameras.
HID lights put out a lot of heat, houses will glow like little nukes.
You can even catch underground ('cave') growers that way.

Besides, nobody grows loco-weed around here anymore, I'd guess. All I
see in the papers is IQ-challenged yahoos getting busted for cooking
methamphetamine. That is freaking dangerous... I'd rather have a pot
farm than a meth lab as a neighbor, any day.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1