Old 29-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Barb wrote:
I have a patch of garden, 3m by 1.1m in front of my house. Following
ruthless pruning back of rampant lavendar last autumn, it's gone to weeds
this summer.

I'd like to dig it all out, put in some new compost and plant a few
low-growing (1m or less) shrubs to fill it. The situation is south-facing,
i.e. sunny, dry and fairly exposed, and I would like to get it reasonably
maintenance-free.

Don't bother with new compost. Try rosemary, thyme, helianthemum
('rock rose') or, for larger plants, sage, cistus ('sun rose') etc.
They all like poor soil, excellent drainage and sun. Given that,
they are all very tough - and several are useful. All can be cut
back as necessary.

Oh, and you can add winter savory and hyssop, plus many others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.