Old 29-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Rod Craddock

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:06:12 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I wonder why?

I manured the ground before planting, but although the earlies
are fairly good the maincrop are quite poor, relatively speaking.

Possibly the dry weather. My soil is so dry I cannot easily dig my
potatoes.

Lucky you! Here in Leicestershire the ground is soaking and has been
almost all summer.

My potato crop is down too, but in my case it's due to them being
riddled with keel slugs, which seem to have reproduced in vast
numbers in the wet soil!

Neil.

Ours look OK but the few I've lifted have a very strange texture,
floury on the outside and falling apart on cooking (a new variety -
waiting to see what the more familiar ones are like). The dry season
has made blight control possible. The dry weather and Nemaslug seem to
have minimised slug damage.
Last August 6.8 inches of rain, this August 2 inches.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.