Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Rod

Default himalayan balsam alternative

"flake" wrote in message
I have himalayan balsam in the garden and now understand it's a notifiable
weed. I quite like the plant; grows tall (5.5' - 6'), pretty, delicate
flowers throughout the summer, bees love it and the slugs ignore it. But
now I'm looking for alternatives.

Having purused my books, hollyhocks, golden rod, achillea and angelica

seem
possible. How do these fare in the bee & slug department ? Can anyone
suggest other perrenials or hardy annuals ? My garden has a stony, very
slightly acid, thin soil which quickly dries out in the summer. I'm in
South Bucks.
MTIA, Diane
--
(takeaway curry if you want to reply direct)

Foxgloves would do well in that situation - the yellow species are worth
trying as well as the native D. purpurea. Verbascums - white and yellow
species.

Rod