Old 12-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Blueberry "Sharp Blue"

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:07:27 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

in article ult, Steve Harris at
wrote on 12/11/02 9:00 AM:

I have some blueberries (fruit) here marked "Sharp Blue" from Australia
and am thinking of planting a few seeds to join my recently planted
"Bluecrop" bush.

Is this cultivar worth growing here? Any tops?

I do not remember completely, but I think that is my main blueberry. I live
in the Los Angeles Area about three miles from the beach. It took about two
or three years to get fruit, but now I get about two crops a year.

[referring to Hortus Third's article on "Blueberries"]

There are two groups of blueberry cultivars. The "highbush"
cultivars, derived from Vaccinium corymbosum, are suitable for
colder climates. The "rabbit-eye" cultivars, derived from
Vaccinium ashei, are suitable for warm climate areas such as
Australia and Southern California.

Vaccinium ashei is native to the southeastern United States,
whereas V. corymbosum has a more northerly distribution.

Given the Australian provenance of your berries, I strongly
suspect that 'Sharp Blue' is a rabbit-eye cultivar. If by chance
you got a seedling of merit, it might not perform very well in
the British climate.

However, Hortus Third is a little vague on the merits of the
rabbit-eye cultivars. It may be that seedlings of 'Sharp Blue'
would do well in Britain, and would have the advantage of not
demanding the extremely acid, peaty soil and constant moisture
that highbush blueberries require.

'Bluecrop' itself is a highbush cultivar.

BTW, Hortus Third says that V. ashei is self-sterile so you would
need at least two seedlings for pollination.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada